Business without a website is nowhere today. Even if you are a solopreneur or operating a blog then also you need to host. The online boom is not yet over and it is not yet saturated. Especially, in developing countries like India, the boom is on the way and yet to peak highs. There are a lot of choices available when it comes to web hosting provider.
Choosing an appropriate provider is one of the crucial steps that you have to take during the early stage of your business or while setting up your site.
If you are a beginner blogger, my advice would be to go for a better web hosting package instead of a cheap one.
Don’t host your blogs freely on Blogger.com, they are dangerous and you may lose your blog anytime, like me.
When you are hosting your site online, you have to consider a lot of technical stuff before choosing a specific provider.
The problem is, there are a lot of web hosting companies and more than 50% of them are affiliated with someone else.
That means you will be “buying from a hosting company which may not be a real company”.
They just use the affiliated version of a parent company.
Don’t may become prey for such hosting companies, most of the time you will end up with poor or no support.
As I mentioned earlier, this is a crucial step because once you have setup the site with one hosting provider, it will be difficult (esp. for beginners) to move your site to another hosting provider.
In this article, I will take you through some of the important factors that you have to consider before choosing a web hosting provider.
First, Check All Your Technical Requirements Are Met.
First of all, identify all your technical requirements like what are the server-side languages and what are all the back-end support.
- Service-side languages are like PHP, ASP etc.
- Back-End support can be anything like MySQL, MS-SQL etc.
If you are a blogger then better go for PHP+MySQL based hosting and that’s the basic requirement to create a WordPress blog – you can go for a Linux-based hosting.
At the same time, if you are planning to develop something on the Microsoft based backend then go for Windows-based hosting.
Even you can run an e-Commerce website using PHP+MySQL combination. They are powerful setup and also, the open source which provides more flexibility to your site for design customizations.
BlashO runs on WordPress and PHP+MySQL plays the major role in the backend.
If you are not clear about the requirements you will end up doing a wrong purchase.
Decide The Type of Web Hosting.
- Your storage space will be kept on a shared server that means, storage space of others is also kept on it.
- Storage space will be private, however, all the processing and serving are from the same server.
- Generally, web hosting providers run 1000’s of websites on a single shared server.
- Hence, the servers will be poorly performing most of the time esp. when there are traffic spikes on any of the site hosted on it.
- Suitable for beginner blogs.
VPS Web Hosting.
- Your storage space will be kept on a virtual server that means, storage space of others are also kept on the same server but virtually managed with its own OS.
- All the processing and serving are from the same server, however, a privately reserved RAM area with admin access will be used.
- Hence, the servers will perform better than a shared web hosting server.
- Suitable for intermediate blogs where server-side processing will be more.
Dedicated Web Hosting.
- Your storage space will be kept on a separate server.
- All the processing and serving are from a dedicated physical server kept for you only.
- Hence, the server will perform better than VPS web hosting server.
- Suitable for high-end blogs where server processing will be high, as well as handles huge traffic.
WordPress Managed Web Hosting.
- A new kind of web hosting service recently offered by many of the famous web hosting providers.
- It supports WordPress only blogs and the provider manages everything related to WordPress right from installation to upgrade.
- Further, the servers are specially optimized or made to run WordPress CMS on the backend with MySQL.
- Suitable for WordPress bloggers who don’t need to learn more about WordPress.
I have compared shared vs WordPress hosting in a separate article that will be helpful to you as a beginner.
An Appropriate Web Hosting Package.
I hope now you are clear about the hosting types.
Similarly, every web hosting provider offers different packages for each type of hosting.
For example, if you take a shared web hosting provider like HostGator – you will get Hatchling Plan, Baby Plan, Business Plan.
Use coupon code BLASHO25 and get 25% OFF on any of the above HostGator plans.
Another example, if you take SiteGround – you will get options to choose between 3 plans as follows:
For SiteGround, you get up to 60% off:
- Refer to the detailed review of SiteGround web hosting.
Similarly, every hosting type will be having different packages or plans. You have to decide what package will be suitable for your blog.
If you are a beginner then go for the basic plans or if you are little more serious and thinks your blog as a business then go for an advanced plan.
Web Hosting Features & Interface.
Similar to technical requirements, you have to find out the features offered by these service providers.
Features can be like 1-Click WordPress installation, WordPress Upgrade, Control Panel Interface etc.
Long back, there was no graphical control panel and you have to set up everything from a command prompt (by typing commands).
Nowadays all these famous hosting providers like SiteGround, HostGator are offering Graphical Control Panel Interface, Installation wizards etc.
You don’t need to bother much about the interfaces & features unless if you have any specific programming language requirements.
Look for 24×7 Customer Support.
- Of course, you should make sure the web hosting provider is giving technical support.
- If they are providing 24×7 support then great.
- Money back guarantee is even greater that SiteGround offers.
- The SiteGround support team is great, I am personally a big fan of SiteGround. Mostly, they respond to me within 10 minutes on their ticket based support system or instantly on the chat-based based support system.
Backup & Guaranteed Uptime.
Backup for your blog or site is one of the important parts of web hosting. Most the web hosting provider supports backup.
Using SiteGround, I am able to automatically backup BlashO every day. SiteGround keeps the backup for last 30 days and I am able to restore back to any time (within 30 days) on a single click.
Suggested Web Hosting Providers.
I had worked with different web hosting services in the last 7 years, especially to set up blogs. I have worked with many of the famous web hosting providers.
- If you personally ask me I would suggest you go for SiteGround – you can choose between any of their 3 hosting plans.
- You can also go for HostGator as a second choice.
Further, you should also understand that your web hosting server directly affects the blog loading time.
Hence if you are more serious about your blog’s loading time then better go for an advanced plan like Cloud hosting or VPS hosting.
Take Advantage of Web Hosting Discounts.
- Use coupon code BLASHO25 and get 25% OFF on HostGator.
- Go to SiteGround and get 60% OFF on any web hosting plan.
Always, keep the above points in mind and for sure you won’t make any web hosting purchase mistakes.