The sidebar in your WordPress blog is one of the key spots where you can place many important things right from advertisements, links to key pages. It is required to show your strength from the sidebar. Further, you have to keep an ordered list of links so that your blog readers will find the most important pages first.
Hence there needs to order the links based on a defined criteria.
In fact, linking from the sidebar also tells search engines that these are the important pages on your blog. This helps in on-page optimization for boosting the search engine rank.
Adding links to the sidebar is simple, however, it is confusing always to order the links as per your own choice. In this article, I will take you through the steps to add links as well as order the links on the sidebar or on the footer bar.
Let us see how to add links to the sidebar:
- Login to your WordPress dashboard.
- Go to Links – Add New Link.
- Enter the URL, Name, and Description as shown in the screenshot.
- You can also select a category for the link. Categories are used to group multiple links together.
- Click Add Link.
- Now go to Appearance – Widgets.
- Drag and drop the Links (your blogroll) widget to the sidebar.
- Select the Link Category (this shows all the links grouped under that selected Category).
- Finally, Save it.
Now visit your blog, you can see the list of links added to the sidebar. Once you are done with adding the link, the next step is to order the links as per your choice.
Let us see how to order links in the sidebar:
- Go to Appearance – Widgets.
- Click on the Links widget.
- Now ordering the link can be done in 4 different ways:
- Order by Link ID – this shows links in the order you create it. For example, the last created link will be shown at last in the list.
- Order by Title – this sorts the link by alphabetical order (A to Z).
- Order by Rating – this sorts the link by the rating value, you can specify a rating value for each and every link while adding it. Rating is just like an index number and the links are shown in sorted order based on the rating value.
- Random Ordering – you can also order the links in a random order that means for every page view, the order of link changes by itself.
- Finally, don’t forget to Save.
Sidebar linking has a lot of advantages like:
- it plays a major role in on-page optimization for search engines
- it helps to showcase the best content to your readers
- it improves the overall navigation of your blog
- it helps to increase visiting time of visitors
- it helps to increase the page views
Overall, adding links & ordering them on the sidebar helps your blog in many ways and you should not hesitate to show your best content to the readers in an organized fashion – without using any plugins.