The process of marketing your blog from scratch is highly coupled to your blogging aim and you should market your blog throughout the life cycle of blogging. It’s one of the toughest parts of blogging too.
Blogging doesn’t stop with producing useful content and making money. Anyone could write on the topic if they master with knowledge. And it is not like people will come to your blog and it markets by itself.
- You have to show your brand.
- You have to show your blog to the world.
- You have to make people love your blog.
- No one will automatically come to your blog and see you.
All these doesn’t happen in a day or two. It takes time and you should not sit idle, by just writing content no one will come to read!
I have classified this entire blog marketing process into two types of marketing models:
- On-Blog Marketing, which involves activities on your blog and it prepares your blog for off-page marketing.
- Off-Blog Marketing, which involves activities which pull in visitors to the prepared blog to market by itself.
Let’s get into the topic….
How To Do On-Blog Marketing?
On-blog marketing is the process of making your blog into a better shape. You have to design a professional look n feel for your blog. You have to build a brand for your blog. Further, you should serve the visitors with what they need!
First, Brand Your Blog.
Branding is the art of creating a remembrance, shape and visualization for your business.
Blogs are not in the exception, it should have a branded feel.
Branding a blog is not a hard job. By simply following the below steps you can completely change your blog upside down.
Branding shows even a smaller blog into big.
To make the steps simple:
- A Logo – Your blog needs a logo. If you say, Yahoo your mind gets that Y Logo. That’s called branding. Make an eye catchy logo which resembles your blog topic. Keep it simple.
- A Slogan – Write a short slogan below the logo or at the top which should reflect the aim of your blog. For example, I use the slogan “Create – Blog – Grow” that means, I am focused here on everything about blog creation, blog growth.
- Colors/Fonts – Using the right combination of colors throughout the blog that gives a branded impression. Also, use appropriate font size for headings, text, links etc. in common across the blog. Use a professional design like Avada theme which have everything readily branded for your blog.
- Learn those 3 steps to brand your blog.
Serving Visitor Needs Consistently.
Serving the visitors need is also part of branding. It actually gives a good feel about your blog.
Because many of Internet users are information seekers and if your blog feeds them with required information, you win.
It creates the best impression about your blog and it tells the visitors that you are more cared about them!
You have to consistently publish content in your blog in order attain constant blog growth.
Blogging is not only sharing, its caring too.
Make sure you are always trying to serve your visitors with quality stuff by writing best blog posts.
Focus on On-Page SEO.
SEO is one of the major parts of marketing your blog.
I would recommend beginners to read, Google’s SEO guide which makes you understand what SEO is and how to use in your blog.
To keep it short and simple:
- Use Keywords which are searched by visitors on the blog post titles (learn how to select targeted keywords).
- Have subheadings in your post with keywords and try to keep it descriptive.
- Use meta description that you should speak about your page.
- Link to other sites which are useful to your readers.
- Use lists/bullets to convey the message as crispy.
- Highlight the important points in your article.
- Use multimedia content like images, videos.
- Learn how to write a blog
- Link to your own relevant articles.
- Have an easy to navigate blog design.
- Keep your blog loading time as low as possible.
- Learn how to perform keyword density analysis.
- Use only a reliable web hosting provider like Dreamhost.
- Use only those right tools for blogging.
SEO helps you to bring in real visitors from search engines and branding helps you to keep hold those visitors in your blog.
Be an Active Blogger.
Make your blog active.
Write more useful information frequently, which makes people come to your blog again and again.
Asking questions, polling, encouraging comments, conducting blog contests are few ideas which make your blog active always.
Some of the blog contest ideas from about.com may help you further.
How To Do Off-Blog Marketing?
Now it’s time to go out of your blog for marketing.
Blogging is networking.
The maximum you build your network, it gives back maximum results.
It’s all about, how you are spreading the words about your blog on the Internet.
Using tools, articles etc. you have to spread your blog to a maximum extent using reliable methods.
That’s called Off-Blog Marketing.
Using Only Those Right Social Media Tools.
Social media tools are gifts to blogger’s and your blog must integrate with these tools.
An information from your blog, if you share it with your network, it spreads to your readers network again and again. That’s all about going viral.
The following infographic by IntersectionConsulting.com shows what are the key elements of a blog post going viral.
There are many application tools for twitter and facebook which can automatically post your content to your fan pages.
Don’t waste more time on social network sites, they are mostly useless and use them only to show your strength.
Do Off-Page SEO.
This involves any SEO activity that you do outside of your blog.
Link building is the major off-page marketing activity that should continue throughout the life cycle of your blog.
Focus only to create quality backlinks for your blog.
- create content that others want to share (you have to ask other bloggers to link your page)
- create free tools or plugins and every other blogger will speak about it (I develop WordPress plugins like AffiLinker)
- do guest posting on other related blogs and create links back to your blog in a natural way (I accept guest posts)
- leave comments on other popular blogs (focus towards getting early comments as much as possible, refer comment marketing tips)
- write on forums with a valid signature without stuffing keywords (refer to Google’s Link schemes guideline and forum marketing tips)
- always create links from a variety of domains instead of creating links from same domain again and again
When you are involved in link building activity, don’t stuff keywords on the Anchor text instead use your brand name only.
I want to show yet another infographic on link building which shows the difference between natural backlinks and unnatural spammy backlinks.
It’s worth to share.
Finally, marketing a blog from scratch is not a simple task. It requires an investment of Time and you have to work smarter.
You could not see the results immediately. You need to work with dedication.
When I started blogging several years back, it took me almost 2 years to hit 1000 unique visitors per day. However, when I took a long break of about 2 years from blogging, I lost all the blog traffic.
Today, it had become a tough game for me to restore traffic back.
Read more on: How to get more blog traffic?
Hence, consistency in blogging is the key.
- You have to consistently product content.
- You have to consistently build backlinks.
- You have to consistently market your blog.
Did you find this blog post useful? Please Share it !
A simply branded blog with great stuff, markets by itself with little marketing effort.