Now-a-days, designing a blog is really simple. When I start 7 years back, there were very less help available about blog setup. At that time, I decided to start this blog to speak about blogging. Later, my focus were changed a lot more about blogging. When it comes to blog design, you cannot please every one. However, in terms of “ease of use” and “SEO”, it is possible.
All you have to pick the right theme and set it up.
In that case, its really simple. At the same time, considering your blog visitors and your goal in account, “designing a blog is an Art”. It should be sculptured like an Art with deep dedication, you should give your blog a LIFE. This articles lights up with some of the great and most important things to consider in designing a better blog.
Branding is Everything.
The success of any blog stands mainly on the Branding. You must make your visitors to feel a better brand in your blog. Starting from the domain name to design aspects, you have to create that feel. I have used a unique domain name, BlashO. I picked this name because its something that easily rolls on your tongue 😉
Show the visitors what you are, in the first impression.
- The first impression should be the best impression always.
- You homepage should be self explanatory, if some newbie comes to your blog. He or she should know, what your blog is about easily on the first look.
- Keep in mind, 80% if the web surfers are looking for information and they will be running from one website to another to find the information what they want.
- Showing the visitors that what you are offering with “focused information” helps them to stay in your site for longer duration.
- Homepage is the face of any website.Not all users come to your homepage first, possibility is that visitors may come from a search engine to your internal page looking for information. You should ensure that every page of your blog should convey the relevant information to them, with your blogging goal in mind.
- If you look at BlashO’s home page, you can quickly understand what BlashO is about, you don’t even need to scroll the page or click on any links. I have a short story on the front page.
Use of Easy Navigation and Clear Layouts.
When it comes for navigation or layout design, keep it simple. That’s more powerful. Having a complex navigational page makes the visitors to get annoyed and they will run out of your website with confusions. Don’t dump you web pages with full of links or Ads, keep limited number of links on each page. It is important to provide the navigational links at the right place.
- The visitors should be able to reach the home page on a single click from any of the internal pages.
- Always, be careful in selecting the right color combination’s, that really makes sense. Don’t forget to highlight the key pages of your blog.
- This is fully dependent on your WordPress theme. I am using Avada here in BlashO, it allows me to easily customize the blog design and also, its a clean & optimized theme which loads faster.
Don’t Forget to Check Web Browsers Compatibility.
There are lot of web browsers available on the market. Make sure that you run a test and verify your blog navigation/design atleast once with all the major browsers like Chrome, Firefox, IE. You can also check with text only browsers like Lynx to ensure how search engine like Google looks your blog. You can also check for compatibility issues using an online tool like: browsershots.
You can refer to the browser usage trend, to understand where you have to test more.
Bonus point: Always focus towards “your goal” and “your visitors” in mind while making a blog design. Also, maintain a professional touch in each and every aspect of your blog design to show that your blog is “great”.
Now tell me what do you think, building a better blog design is really an Art ?Did you find this blog post useful? Please Share it !